Welcome!

This blog contains my thoughts on sound eating. I am a Nutritionist and Advanced Home Cook--meaning I love food and I love to cook. I have two kids, 13 and 14 (Lord, help me!), and a wonderful husband whom I love to cook nutritious food for (and some not so healthy food, in moderation, of course). My concern is that most of us in our affluent nation are malnourished, and keep searching for an answer that only exacerbates the problem. My hope is to help people by sharing tips, recipes, and nutritional information for every person who struggles to get delicious, nutritious food on the table. I hope it helps!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Hide them!

I began writing a new entry about feeding your kids wonderful vegetables like spinach and Brussels sprouts, but my husband thought I should first share my arsenal of tricks that I use to get more vegetables in my kids. Therefore, you will have to wait until tomorrow because I know you are biting at the bit to get my recipes for spinach and Brussels sprouts, not to mention butternut squash and black-eyed peas. Okay, maybe not, but you're going to get it anyway.

If you read my earlier post on flavor, you know that my husband was not raised on any of the aforementioned vegetables (well, occasionally he got some canned black-eyes), and he has a very tangible aversion to onions, and any onion-like substance, so I hide them. I make things like marinara with lots of vegetables that they never have a clue about (because, of course, as I have mentioned earlier, our kids learn from our actions, so now they have an aversion to onions and anything else they have heard him talk negatively about). I make meatballs, meatloaf, soups, spaghetti, casseroles, even desserts with vegetables hidden in them. I have mentioned earlier that I cut my vegetables up very small, and I usually cook them first, so my family doesn't get an unexpected crunch from something. I am not over-exaggerating when I say that you can do this with almost any vegetable, and it will only add to the flavor not detract. Just make sure that it is cut up small and cooked until soft.

Here are some examples: I make a black bean dip with a whole onion in it for my very picky son that he loves. Also, his favorite meal is spaghetti and meat sauce, so I mince up onions, carrots, bell peppers, spinach, whatever I have, cook it in some light olive oil, add the hamburger meat, cook that, and make my sauce (or if in a pinch, I add Ragu's Sun-dried Tomato and Basil marinara). He doesn't have a clue, and if he sees something in it that looks odd, I just say it's an herb. It's not lying, right, as long as it's for his own good? Well, I am not advocating lying to your kids...you tell them whatever you want, but this is just what works for me.

The trick about it really is that the more you get these wonderful, nutritious foods in them, the more their taste buds will acquire an affinity for them. Therefore, when you start putting things like creamed spinach or roasted butternut squash in front of them, they may surprise you with phrases like, "This tastes better than I thought it would."

I could go on about the specific nutrients in each fruit or vegetable, but I don't believe in that. I think you have to ingest a wide variety of "whole" foods (not processed) to get all of the nutrients that we need. We are so blessed in this country to have every type of food available to us, almost year-round...why do we choose these awful, nutrient-deficient foods that do nothing for us except provide calories? I think we all know the answer...it's easier and it's convenient. I am all for ease and convenience, but at what price?

Recipes:

The following black bean recipe can be used for so many things. Many Hispanics eat these in the mornings for breakfast. We like them with homemade tortilla chips, on tostadas, tacos, soft tacos, burritos, or just as a side item.

1 large onion, minced which means chopped until very small pieces
2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 cups cooked black beans (rinsed if using canned)
1/2 cup water or chicken broth
Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a skillet (I like cast iron; you actually get more iron in your diet this way). Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until browned or caramelized. Add the beans and water and mash with a potato masher. If you want it smooth, you can use a blender (just add more water), or a food processor. Then pour back into the skillet to heat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment