Welcome!

This blog contains my thoughts on sound eating. I am a Nutritionist and Advanced Home Cook--meaning I love food and I love to cook. I have two kids, 13 and 14 (Lord, help me!), and a wonderful husband whom I love to cook nutritious food for (and some not so healthy food, in moderation, of course). My concern is that most of us in our affluent nation are malnourished, and keep searching for an answer that only exacerbates the problem. My hope is to help people by sharing tips, recipes, and nutritional information for every person who struggles to get delicious, nutritious food on the table. I hope it helps!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Butter, YUM!

I believe in eating everything that grows in or on this earth in moderation. I believe that anything we adulterate is bad. Webster defines adulterate as, "to make impure by mixing in a foreign or inferior substance." Butter...good, trans-fat margarine...bad. Water...good, sodas...bad. Homemade chocolate chip cookies...good, snack cakes made with chemical preservatives...bad. Oatmeal...good; highly processed, artificially flavored and colored cereal...bad. Seems simple, right? What we do in this country though is pick everything apart, and make fat of any kind bad, or make sugar the culprit, or a lack of Omega 3s, or obsess over protein. We need it all...the fat, the carbs, the protein, the vitamins and minerals and one is not any more important than the other. If you find this hard to believe because you are overweight, and you need to find fault with something, here it is...calories and/or lack of activity. It is that simple.

Maybe you are cursing me right now, but let me give you the good news...you don't have to give up anything with the exception of food that is not really food. We were never meant to eat chemicals, but we do in our sodas, our fast food, our preserved processed foods that will never die. That is not food!

In our house, we eat butter, sugar, salt, oil, dairy, red meat, chicken, beans, flour, grains, pasta, fruit, nuts, and lots of vegetables. We eat dessert, too--cakes, pies, and cookies, but we make them ourselves, and on occasion. We don't deprive ourselves of anything except "chemicals". We don't miss a meal either. We may spend more than most on food, but we spend hardly anything on the doctor.

I try to maintain the mentality of what my ancestors might have eaten. My grandmothers are 100 and 90 years old, and they never worried about getting enough of this vitamin or that nutrient because they ate from the land. They had gardens; they canned for the winters; they killed their own beef and shared it with their neighbors, and when their neighbors killed their cow or pig, they shared too. But they also worked...hard. They got plenty of carbohydrates from their grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables, and plenty of protein and fat from their animals. It was a balanced diet, from the land.

Have you ever heard of perimeter grocery shopping? That is where you buy most of your grocery store items from the perimeter of the store. Meats, fish, produce, and dairy are usually all along the outside walls of the grocery store because they are fresh; they will rot which means they are alive. They were meant to keep us alive.

Enough of my tangent...I hope I have convinced you to eat fresh, whole foods (not specific nutrients), and to eat a variety of everything--not to deify any one food or nutrient or demonize any other. All foods are good--as long as they are really food.

4 comments:

  1. I have a confession. We use spray butter over here. I'm guessing you are not a fan! LOL!

    I thought of you last night when we were eating dinner. Adam ate 3 slices of beets (with spray butter) and I was actually excited about that. It was like, "YESSSS he got a red vegetable in his body!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! What an accomplishment! That is one I can't get mine to eat, but their daddy's grotesque looks whenever I eat them may have something to do with that.

    You have to decide about the spray butter--I'm just impressed by the beets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to thank you for your insight. I'm not committed yet about the spray butter, but I am thinking about it along with the other calorie saving adulterated foods I currently consume. My new year's resolution this year was to get more active in general. My concern about omitting things like spray butter and splenda is that I'm not active enough to counteract the extra calories. It seems that when I hit 35 years the amount of food I can consume without gaining drastically went down.

    I'd like to share with you my secret for vegetable consumption. I'll preface it by saying that I rarely give my children snacks after school. Therefore, they are genuinely hungry for our early dinner. I always prepare the vegetables first, and sit them at the table with their serving of veg. and fruit while I finish up the remainder of the dinner and get it on the table. Then we all sit together(except Ali who is usually working) for the rest of the meal. Most nights it works well for me as they are hungry enough not to scoff at their veggies.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea on the veggies! It's like it's the first course. I sometimes do that in the morning with eggs because they love the carbs in the morning, but not so much the protein.

    Funny that it hit you at 35--it hit me at 30! It's like I woke up one day, and I was 10 lbs. heavier. I have been on a quest for about 2 years now to lose those pounds, but the healthy way. It has been a challenge because I started taking huge doses of estrogen at the same time to combat PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder). I also love to eat good food!

    The way I think about the chemicals put in food is to imagine all of those chemicals built up in my body with no where to go and toxifying (is that a word?) my insides. I also think that since they are mostly fat soluble, they coat fat cells and lead to cellulite. I don't know if this is proven, but it makes sense to me.

    Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete