Welcome!

This blog contains my thoughts on sound eating. I am a Nutritionist and Advanced Home Cook--meaning I love food and I love to cook. I have two kids, 13 and 14 (Lord, help me!), and a wonderful husband whom I love to cook nutritious food for (and some not so healthy food, in moderation, of course). My concern is that most of us in our affluent nation are malnourished, and keep searching for an answer that only exacerbates the problem. My hope is to help people by sharing tips, recipes, and nutritional information for every person who struggles to get delicious, nutritious food on the table. I hope it helps!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Breakfast

I know you have heard the saying, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." The question is why? In short, my answer is brain food. Did you know that the only fuel the brain uses is glucose? I honestly believe that this is the reason many people crave sugar in the morning.

Think of all the breakfast foods out there--most contain high amounts of sugar or starch. Pancakes, pastries, cereal, milk, donuts, fruit, waffles, oatmeal, etc. are all huge sources of sugar or glucose. Physiologically this makes sense because our brain needs glucose to function. However, too much glucose can be damaging to the brain. Therefore, a breakfast meal with only simple sugars like sucrose, table sugar, can be harmful because of the huge surge of glucose your body is getting. It is best to always eat breakfast, especially kids who are trying to absorb an extensive amount of information every day, but always combine it with fat and protein to balance the surge of sugar.

I have heard all the excuses, "I'm not hungry in the morning", "If I eat breakfast, it makes me sick to my stomach", "I eat more if I eat breakfast." Honestly, it is a matter of habit. My husband has given me all of these excuses, until he gave up DPs and I started preparing him breakfast to take to work. Now he wants breakfast every morning.

If you are not eating breakfast and your kids are, I bet one or more of your kids will eventually start giving you excuses for not eating breakfast as well. If it is not a priority for you, why should it be for them? I happen to think it is vital for every kid to eat a nutritious breakfast in the morning, but it does take effort on our part.

I make myself get up 30 minutes earlier than my kids, and I decide the night before what I am going to make for them in the morning. I make things like blueberry pancakes and bacon, or French toast and sausage links, or this morning I made homemade donuts (sounds decadent, right? but it is an occasional item on our list) and cheesy eggs. If for some reason we only have time for a whole grain cereal, then I combine it with a fruit and yogurt protein shake (see snack ideas on my "Kids" blog). I often cook a sheet pan full of bacon on parchment paper in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes and refrigerate the left-overs for the rest of the week). If you prefer turkey bacon that is fine too, but we like the real thing. Combine the following ideas with some fruit or 1/4 c. of juice, and you have a well balanced meal.

Other breakfast ideas:
omelets with fresh, chopped spinach (optional but good), ham, and cheese and toast
mini-quiches (Nancy's is a good all-natural brand or you can make your own and freeze them, recipe follows)
chocolate chip and banana muffins (recipe follows) and scrambled eggs and bacon
breakfast sandwiches like scrambled eggs and ham on whole grain toast or a biscuit
oatmeal and a protein shake
cinnamon rolls with chopped nuts and bacon
BLT
breakfast pizza (recipe follows)

There will be other benefits to adopting this type of lifestyle. Your metabolism will kick in and burn the fuel that you give it (food) more efficiently. You will start to eat more regular but smaller lunches and dinners, with snacks in between because your body's metabolism will require it. However, you will probably lose weight even though it may seem that you are eating more. Believe me, it's true! Remember, your body is working more efficiently. You will be able to think clearer and mornings won't be such a drag.

Recipes:

The following recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law, Katie. I have adjusted it for muffins instead of bread. These are so good! Thanks, Katie.

Chocolate chip Banana Muffins

2 large or 3 small bananas
3 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup room temperature butter (leave it out the night before)
2 cups unbleached flour (you can use all purpose)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a regular 12 muffin pan and a mini 12 muffin pan with cooking spray. Whip together bananas and milk with whisk or in mixer. Add sugar and whip; add egg and whip. Add remaining ingredients except chocolate chips and mix on low just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown for small muffins and 15 to 20 minutes for bigger muffins.


Mini Quiches:

3 refrigerated pie crusts
8 large eggs, beaten
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups fresh, chopped spinach, washed and drained
1/2 lb. bacon, finely diced and cooked until crisp
1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Pinch off pie crust dough, roll into a ball and place in mini muffin pans. Use a shot glass sprayed with cooking spray to press dough into thin shells. Pour mixture into shells and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until light brown on top.


Breakfast Pizza

2 cans crescent rolls
6 eggs
8 oz. shredded cheddar/jack cheese
2 tablespoons flour
1 can green chilis, drained (optional)
2 c. frozen hash browns, defrosted
1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Spread crescent rolls out on a pizza pan or baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray; seal the edges. Mix cheese with the flour. Beat the eggs and stir in the green chilis, cheese, and salt and pepper. Spread mixture out on the dough. Sprinkle on the sausage and then the hash browns. Bake for 30 minutes or until done. Serve with salsa.

Good eating!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so I'm one of those people who get nauseous when I eat too early. Doesn't coffee count?? LOL! My 5 year old is the same way. He too won't eat breakfast until he has been up for a couple of hours. For now, I'm fine with that. We have breakfast at our house around 9:30-10:00 am. (Does that still count?) I am worried how I'm going to get breakfast into him once he starts school and doesn't have the luxury of a relaxed morning. He is so hard to feed for breakfast. He doesn't like eggs, cheese, waffles, pancakes, etc. If I get him to eat anything it's turkey bacon or sausage and fruit. I'm going to try the muffins. I just feel like I shouldn't be giving him so much bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your concern about bacon. My thought on it is that my grandparents ate it everyday of their lives and are still thriving in their 90's. I believe in moderation in eating anything from the farm, so to speak. We have bacon 2 to 3 times a week. Ham is another good choice; I would just keep trying different things, and let him see how important it is. If you can stomach it, eat a small something with him, and that will help tremendously.

    Try smoothies with protein powder added if he likes those, and it may give him enough nutrition to start wanting more in the mornings. The things you mentioned that he doesn't like--start introducing those things again. If made to eat something when he wakes up or wait until lunch time, I bet he will begin to eat what you give him in the morning. Try eggs different ways, hard-boiled, poached, scrambled--we do scrambled a lot with a hand full of shredded colby/jack added for each egg. They are definitely not low in fat, but we don't eat very much, just enough to give them some good protein.

    Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete